Saturday, January 10, 2009

Yeh Dil Mange More..

I wanted to write about the virtue of “greed” (potrayed as a vice as I still recall gory images from the flick 'Seven' ) for quite some time now but it is only today that my thoughts crystallized enough to put this down on paper . As I thought about a heading for this post I couldn’t help but put this Pepsi Slogan as I believe it aptly fits the feelings expressed in this post. This slogan which was primarily meant to encourage consumerism (greater consumption of carbonated trash) is all about want for more …“greed”
The cynical attitude that most people have towards greed gets very well reflected in the below mentioned quote:
“ We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have , but rather of appreciating and recognizing what we have ” But I question happiness here. I don't quite relate to that feeling (I should thank Mint for making me a little more aware about this one : http://www.livemint.com/2009/01/02220031/The-science-of-euphoria.html )
I only relate to satisfaction and believe that satisfaction comes out of expectation. If what I have matches my expectations then I am satisfied otherwise I am not. My desire for more cannot lead me to a perennial state of disillusion but can still make me feel dissatisfied. Some very crudely put this to be " ro ro roke takiya geela karna " but I have a different stance. I don’t think there is anything wrong in wanting a whole lot of things from life. But s**** happens and yet it never stops us from dreaming or hoping or working to get what we want and aspiring more typified as “ greed” by most.
Talk about greed and we have had a lot of ranting from the new American prezzie about trying to stop the greed on wall street and take measures against the same but the only answer to this lies in what Gordon Gecko said
“Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the revolutionary spirit. Greed in all its forms-greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.” Greed , Ladies and Gentlemen for the lack of better words is GOOD !!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home