Monday, May 29, 2006

What if God was one of us?


I have always pondered about this question and somewhere down the line I have started to believe that there seem to be no concrete answers available at hand or just that I would prefer to tread the middle line and take neither side. I am amongst those many people who visit temples or pray occasionally because that is what I have been taught or just that I don’t seem to have the will to defy the beliefs imparted to me no matter how second handed they maybe or maybe because it is simpler than arguing with my parents. I am really not sure which one of all these reasons it is but as a friend of mine puts it I just go ahead as per my ‘convenience’.

Talking about God I think the concept came into being when man could not explain a whole many forces of nature and all this unexplained was attributed to some superior force and despite the fact that we have revolutionized the world now yet the myth that man plays puppet at the hands of this superior force is something millions of us live by even today. Maybe that is why Orwell said that “Myths which are believed in tend to come true” It is this so called “truth” that reverberates in the teachings of religious leaders who seem to rant about the existence of God and his message. This “truth” maybe gives us the confidence to live the life we do. A belief that someone from up above has his hands upon our heads. Someone whose powers we can seek refuge in during all those tough times. But as Joan Osborn sang

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Tryin' to make his way home….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home